Monday, March 9, 2009

Piano Top

Bucky begins the book 'Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth' with: " I am enthusiastic over humanity's extraordinary and sometimes very timely ingenuities. If you are in a shipwreck and all the boats are gone, a piano top buoyant enough to keep afloat that comes along makes a fortuitous life preserver."

A little later down, he adds, "I think that we are clinging on to a great many piano tops in accepting yesterday's fortuitous contrivings as constituting the only means for solving a given problem."

The question that I have to ask myself is, "how many table tops am I clinging to?" especially with my 'that's the way it's supposed to be done' and 'that's the way I've always done it' mentality.

What about you?
(Photo above from wikipedia.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment